The Hager House, 134 Nellie Circle, Stanley , NC 28164
Source: Preservation North Carolina
Straight from the horse’s – that is Preservation North Carolina’s – mouth.
“Hidden beneath the aluminum siding is a fine vernacular farmhouse. It was constructed in 1888 by Julius Peter (J.P.) Hager and has remained in the family until this day. The Hager House is 30 minutes from Charlotte (25 minutes from the Charlotte Douglas International Airport) in the quiet community of Stanley, just minutes from Lake Norman.
Only 30 minutes from Charlotte, Stanley is in a growing area of Lincoln County that is still small enough to offer a peaceful setting. It is less than an hour to Morganton and Hickory and less than 2 hours to both Boone and Asheville. Stanley is also close to Lake Norman, Historic Latta Plantation, the Brevard Station Museum, the Mundy House and History Center, and the Lincoln County Historical Association.
Architectural & Historical Information
The Hager family has been a prominent family name in the area for many years being closely associated with Hills Chapel Methodist Church and the nearby famous Methodist Camp Meeting grounds.. Local tradition also holds that this was the site of Lincoln County’s first Post Office since the main wagon road ran in front of the house. A fine rock wall still runs along the front of the house along the old road bed.
The house exhibits some fine interior features including original doors, mantels, staircase, etc. While currently serviceable, the house’s wiring, plumbing and HVAC systems will likely need a thorough inspection and upgrade, as well as removal of the artificial siding and re-installation of windows more in keeping with the original house. The house has a well and a septic system that should be inspected for any necessary upgrades. A barn on the property is also in need of rehabilitation.
The house is priced far below the current tax value of $53,377.”
See full listing here.