308 Monroe St, South English, IA, 52335
$49,900 Reduced to $39,900 Sold for $25,000
This fixer upper was built in 1872 in the small town of South English, Iowa (pop. 212). It is one of those tiny places comprised of just a small number of cross roads in the middle of miles and miles of farmland. The community is tight-knit, however, and is proud of its history.
Our featured home today is a prominent landmark in South English. It was built in 1872 for Mrs. Hattie Israel. Hattie and her sister, Mollie Boyd, ran a millinery shop from the home. Back then, customers who wanted the latest in hat wear entered through double front doors where the large center window is now. In the 1890s the sisters boarded out rooms.
William F. Heald, a farmer, purchased the brick home in 1903. He lived there for many years, well into the 1930s, with his wife Erma and daughters Alice and Aline.
All brick two-story fixer upper home with a spacious front porch overlooking the large yard! Nice living room and formal dining room. Exposed brick, original hardwood floors, wide woodwork, and high ceilings throughout! Large galley kitchen with white painted cabinets, good storage, and SS appliances that will stay.
Upper level features three bedrooms with hardwood floors and a full bathroom. Home is being sold in as-is condition. Possible short sale.
OHU50K does not represent this property.