15857 17th St S, Comstock, MN, 56525 $50,000
c.1909 Old Abandoned School
It was love at first site for Andrew Rockhold as he drove past this old abandoned school in 2013. He purchased it, then thought about turning it into a wedding venue, but money was an object. So he began selling off stuff in the building. Now he has decided to put the school on the market. Note the sign that states, “Vandals will be hunted down. God is watching you!”
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the original two-story portion of the school opened in 1909. In 1910 and 1911 more classrooms were added. A one-story high school wing was added to the rear in 1929, and in 1939 a gymnasium was built.
During the 1950s enrollment declined significantly which led to consolidation with the nearby Barnesville school. High school classes moved to Barnesville in 1956, and the Comstock school shut its doors completely in the mid 1970s, when elementary classes also moved to Barnesville.
The old high school building needs a new roof and windows. Some of the floors are not safe to walk on, the others need leveling. Rockford stressed, however, that the school has good bones and is not beyond repair.