6561 Lee Jackson Hwy, Raphine, VA 24472
This fixer upper has seen several lives. It served as a general store and as the Steeles Tavern post office, and is actually located in the village of Steeles Tavern, but with a Raphine zip code.
The community in which this fixer upper is situated was originally called Midway. Another town, however, of the same name existed in Virginia. To avoid confusion, mail then began to be addressed to the local tavern, “In care of Steeles Tavern.” When John Steele became the area’s first postmaster in 1825, the post office was officially named Steeles Tavern. The original log tavern, no longer standing, was run by David Steele, a veteran of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina.