408 S Main St, Schaller, IA 51053
$48,000 – Off Market
This is the former Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church. Services date back to 1883 with the first Mass celebrated by Father Timothy Meagher. From 1885 until a few years later, Mass was celebrated in a building in downtown Schaller. Sometime between 1888 and 1892 a frame church was built. Then in 1913, this beautiful brick church was constructed.
The final Mass at St. Joseph was on the Solemnity of Christ the King back in November of 2020. Apparently, there were not enough parishioners nor priests to sustain the building so it merged with St. Mary’s. Below is part of a message by Father Lingle. Among other things, he explains that the stained glass windows were removed and stored for safe keeping.
After the final Mass there, an inventory of the sacred patrimony (all of the things used for sacred worship) was taken. St. Mary’s parish, as the receiving parish of St. Joseph, Schaller kept some of the items for use at both St. Mary and Sacred Heart. The rest of the contents of liturgical items were taken to the diocesan storage facility in Laurens where they will be used by other Catholic churches in the diocese. Since the stained glass windows are part of the liturgical patrimony of the parish, they are being removed, crated, and stored for safe keeping. Some of these windows could be incorporated into the St. Mary’s campus or used in other church buildings. We simply cannot leave them in an unoccupied building to fall into disrepair. In order to remove the windows in a safe fashion the pews had to be removed first. This was always part of the plan. It is important to understand that all of these things are and have been done in harmony with the policies of pastoral planning for the Diocese of Sioux City. We cannot simply leave a building to sit unused to fall apart in the long shot dream that someday we will have an abundance of priests and people to return to active worship in Schaller. Before the pandemic began we averaged 35 people per week at Sunday Mass and 5 at the daily Mass during the week. That was not sustainable then and certainly not sustainable now with only one priest assigned to St. Mary’s parish.