Attention Historic Home Lovers! This one is for you! This property is ready for a new owner who will restore her to her glory days! Built in the 1800s, sitting on a large lot, 2 outbuildings included, and has been prepped to start the remodel process. There is still lots of character remaining! All of the original black walnut trim & finishes are still present. You will also love the original hardwood floors, doors, hardware, and grand staircases. This home boasts nearly 4, 000 square feet of living space, 5 large bedrooms, formal dining room and sitting room, and 2 original fireplaces. Looking for a new project? Let’s take a tour today!
0.37 acre lot
Build date 1890
601 Fellows St, Utica, MO 64686 $110,000 Reduced to $80,000
“One of the most interesting buildings in Utica, which still stands and is occupied, is the old Utica Hotel. Its present owners are Stephen E. and Aida (Peters) Locke. They have restored it and graciously take interested persons on a tour of it. They are retired builders from Gary, Indiana. Mrs. Locke is a native Chillicothian and upon retirement became interested in this building she had known as a child.
The house was built in 1836 by Edward and Susan Mead. It was sold to and occupied by Edward, George, and Wm. Van Zandt who sold it to Roderick and Catherine Matson. In 1838 they sold it to Wm. Hudgins who held the first warranty deed. He left Utica and purchased a large tract of land in Mooresville. It changed hands frequently with thirty owners over that period to the present time. The original house consisted of four rooms downstairs with two upstairs. Every room had a fireplace. The inside and outside walls are 18 inch thick solid brick . Each room on the first floor had its own solid rock foundation and a crawlway large enough for a person to crawl through it. Heavy quarry rocks were used for the fireplaces. Only two fireplaces were in good enough condition to restore them and be used now. The architecture is the Greek Revival period. The woodwork in the four original rooms is of native black walnut and parts are beautifully carved. The original key holes in each door were made of coin silver.”