815 Pine Street, Danville, VA $35,000
Save this old house known as The Pleasant Richard Jones House. The Folk Victorian was relocated to its present location to make room for a service station in the early 1920s. According to Old West End VA, “The house, following its relocation, was used primarily as rental income by Mr. Avery, as well as by the next two owners who followed. In 1947, Walter Pierce Tudor. former U.S. Congressional candidate and chairman of the city democratic committee, bought it. But it wasn’t until his wife died in December of 1954 that he moved from his family farm in Dry Fork and took up residence there. When he died nine years later, it was sold to William Hooker and his wife Shirley, who died in 1970. Hooker remarried and continued to live in the house until 1981 when the house, once more, became a rental property.”
The original house that stood on this lot is thought to have been built by P.R. Jones. Sometime before 1898, the Jones house disappeared off the map, K.C. Arey purchased the lot, and moved the present house there. Locals still referred to it as the P.R. Jones House.
Pleasant Richard Jones (1840-1899) was born in Georgia and moved to Danville when he was 18. He worked as a druggist there before joining the Confederate Army during the American Civil War and was captured by the Federal Army on the retreat from Gettysburg. Per Old West End VA, while in captivity, “a certain number of prisoners were to be exchanged, and the officer in charge had adopted the plan or selecting for exchange every other prisoner as they stood in line. Mr. Jones made the Masonic sign, and the officer, skipping the prisoner whose turn would have been next in the regular order, rested his hand on Pleasant Richard Jones, shoulder, and said, “You, sir.”
After the war, Jones returned to Danville and opened up his own drug store. He also founded the Bank of Danville and Danville Street Car Company. In the notice of his death in 1899, the editor of The Danville Register said: “Pleasant Richard Jones died as he had lived, with clean hands and a pure heart.”
Save this old house.
This two story Folk Victorian with German siding is in the Five Forks area of the Old West End Historic District. The exterior is totally restored and structurally reconditioned. A new main electrical panel and some wiring is complete. In addition to a sunny sitting area on the landing, this second floor has two large bedrooms, both with fireplaces, and a full bath. The main floor includes a spacious foyer, half bath, and three large rooms that can be configured as living room / dining room / kitchen or as third bedroom / family room / eat-in kitchen. The living room has a fireplace with original tiles and overmantel, and the original chandelier. The dining room with fireplace has a large opening to the one-story kitchen providing a modern “open concept” feel.
STAIRCASE (half bath under)