Rectory and Church For Sale : Faced with declining membership and struggling to maintain the large historic property, the church diocese decided to close the church last year and donate it and the adjacent parish house to Indiana Landmarks. The congregation gathered one last time in January for a deconsecration ceremony.
Indiana Landmarks repaired the church roof using grant funds awarded from the Efroymson Family Fund of the Central Indiana Community Foundation. Remaining grant funds will be used to repaint the Gothic Revival parish house.
The landmarks hold ties to Connersville’s early religious history and civic leaders. In 1850, Reverend William Miller conducted Connersville’s first Episcopalian service in the town hall, and it wasn’t long before the Episcopal Parish organized and built its first chapel. By 1856, the rapidly growing parish commissioned construction of a large new Gothic Revival church and adjacent parish house, both completed three years later.
A number of Connersville’s early town leaders attended Trinity Episcopal, including Mary S. Helm — wife of Connersville co-founder Meredith Helm – and Manfred E. Dale, an influential businessman probably best known for donating property for the Dale Cemetery just west of town.
Both properties will be sold with protective easements requiring exterior changes to be approved by Indiana Landmarks. To learn more, contact Jessie Russett, director of Indiana Landmarks’ Eastern Regional Office, 765-478-3172, [email protected].