202 S Main St, Colerain, NC, 27924. $69,000
This fixer upper sits in the charming town of Colerain, North Carolina (pop. 204). The Henry-Beasley house is the oldest house surviving in the town of Colerain. Per the NRHP, it was built in 1850 for Peyton T. Henry, a member of the NC House of Representatives and later purchased by John J. Beasley who expanded it to include the two-story Victorian addition.
This wonderful home was built for Dr. Peyton T. Henry (1820-1893) and his wife Lucy Catherine Moore Capehart (1839-1908). They had no children.
John. J. Beasley (1860- 1929) purchased the home in 1886. He lived there with his wife Clara Watford Beasley (1867-1901) and their children Clara, Clarence, Mabel and John. Sadly, Mrs. Beasley died at the young age of 34. Mr. Beasley remarried and had two more children.
Fixer Upper Home Details Per NRHP
This two-story, five-bay, frame, side-gable, Greek Revival-style house is sheathed with weatherboard. The six-panel entrance door is surrounded by transom and sidelights. A one-bay, gable-front porch has square, fluted posts and pilasters. The first-floor windows are nine-over-nine double-hung sash and the second-floor windows are nine-over-six double-hung sash, all with fluted surrounds and surmounted by pointed arch window hoods with Greek key motifs at the corners. This is the oldest house surviving in the town of Colerain which has not been substantially remodeled and it retains a distinctive architectural interest. The most notable aspects of the five-bay façade are the gable front portico and the battered window surrounds with pointed crowns. A large two-story addition which is estimated to have been built around 1900 extends to the rear.
The 5-bay Greek Revival features exterior detailing with pedimented windows, 6-panel front door, one-bay gable-front porch with fluted posts and pilasters, corner posts and original front paneled door surrounded with transom and sidelights that flood the entry with natural light. Interior features: none-over-nine double-hung sash, original heart pine floors, elaborate window and door surrounds and original paneling. The parlor features an ornate fireplace mantle with Ionic columns, dentil moulding and ornate detailing. The chimney for the parlor fireplace has fallen; the house has been secured from the elements. There is a separate entry staircase for the upstairs from the back porch leading to the upstairs landing; this area was used as ‘room rentals’ long before the age of AirBnBs. Exterior features: mature English boxwoods, brick sidewalk and a two-car garage with upstairs storage and gable-front dormers on the second floor. Both the house and garage are listed on the National Register of Historic Places are is eligible for historic tax credits. Call today to scheduling your showing and begin your historic home dreams.