505 Thompson St Units 500,505 Thompson St Units 500,725,725, Portage, WI, 53901.
c.1917 Former School in Portage WI. $75K
This building was formerly known as the Cottage School or the First Ward School. Apparently, the remodel became too much to handle for the owner.
This school building was constructed in 1917 with an addition in 1937. During its years of operation, the Neoclassical style school building acted as an elementary and middle school. Later, it functioned as an apartment building at least until 2016.
Per wisconsinhistory.org: The Georgian Revival-style school historically had a two-room plan. The one-story building has added height resulting from a tall foundation. The rectilinear structure supports a gable-on-hip roof, with the long axis of the roof oriented parallel to Thompson Street. It is sheathed in asphalt shingles and pierced by a broad brick chimney stack at its center. The building is expanded by a small flat-roof addition on the rear elevation, and an entrance pavilion on the façade. Projecting from the entrance pavilion is a front-gable portico, with a concrete deck and square wood columns. The exterior of the building is clad in a brick veneer, with a concrete water table dividing the first story and foundation. Brick on the first story is a lighter hue of red than that on the foundation. Wall decoration includes inset panels on the façade and decorative brickwork on the north (rear) elevation. A broad entablature extends below the eaves. The facade entrance consists of paired wood doors within the portico; they are topped by a denticulated shelf molding. Windows appear to be historic-period wood sashes. Flanking the door are two eight-over-eight double-hung windows, each resting on concrete lug sills and topped by a soldier course of bricks. Corresponding foundations windows are two-over-two with narrow horizontal lights. Fenestration on the east and west (side) elevations include strings of five, tall six-over-one windows. Some of the lower sashes have been replaced by smaller one-over-one sashes. A second entrance is on the rear of the building, accessed by a concrete run of stairs. The rear one-story addition has a flat roof with a tall parapet on its east and west sides. A shallow pent extends along its north elevation, and shelters a pedestrian entrance.”