208 W Mulberry St, Albion, MI, 49224 $50,000
In the 1890s, this extraordinary Queen Anne Victorian for sale in Albion, Michigan, was the home of Frank W. Jewett, co-founder of Jewett & Knapp Dry Goods Store. The firm of Jewett & Knapp was in Albion from 1893 to 1896, before the partners then moved the business to Lansing, where they purchased another dry goods store under the same name.
By the 1930 U.S. Census, the widow Jane D. Seaman owned the home, then worth $5,000. She rented a part of the house out to the Kline family and a boarder named Harvey Nettle.
As you can see from the 1913 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map below (under #4), the home’s porch originally wrapped around to the side entrance. It would have been nice to less photos of the kitchen and baths. The lack of such pics means one of two things: either they are in very poor condition; or they are original. Let’s hope it’s the latter.
This 3 story Victorian home for sale was built in 1880. Located in an area once populated by affluent entrepreneurs at the turn of the 20th century, this home sits just a few doors down from the historic Gale House of Albion. In the 1890’s, this home was once owned by co-founder of Jewett & Knapp, Frank W. Jewett.
The house must be brought up to code before occupied. Approximately half of the roof was RECENTLY MODIFIED; the other half to be a task for the next owner. This property is located approximately 4 minutes from Albion College. Another great modification made to this house is its conversion to a duplex in recent years (however it can be renovated back to its original single family status). There are kitchens on both the first and second floor. Private access to the second floor unit can be made through the front door. Both units share a back stairwell for basement access. From a centered fireplace, to carved woodwork, this home echoes remnants of its past!