The Cullen Homestead is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, circa1820 built two story, four part stepped profile frame Federal dwelling supported on a low brick foundation. It has been a two family dwelling in the past, so there are some non period renovations. There are original architectural features such as 9 over 6 windows, 6 over 6 windows and 4 over 2 windows with bullnose profiles. There is some period woodwork including raised paneling on the staircase, original mantles, a barrel ceiling in the dining room, and wide plank flooring. Owners have recently installed a paddock area for their horses with wood fencing. Situated on Lawson Barnes Road in a private location, there are large pecan trees, black walnuts, boxwoods, two pomegrante bushes, and a large fig. There are two wells and septic systems, as it was for many years two apartments. Owner occupants, must have appointment! Adjoining parcel may be purchased separately for $5000. This house will NOT go FHA, VA, or CDA. Cash or conventional only.
0.66 acre lot
Build date 1820
If interested in a property, please contact the realtor whose link is provided in the post below, or contact an agent of your own choosing. Independent verification of details and status is recommended.
“The main two story, three-bay block has a center entrance, a diamond pane transom and flanking nine-over-six sash windows. Rows of modillion blocks highlight the front and rear cornices, a feature that was repeated at the old Nelson Homestead built at the same time and probably by the same artisan. Attached to the north end of the main house is a shorter story-and-a-half section that connects the colonnade and kitchen to the main house.”
“Construction of this four-part house is attributed to John Cullen, Sr., who purchased the hundred-acre plantation from the estate of Lodowick Milbourn in December of 1836. It contains a mixture of Federal and Greek Revival style elements and some original woodwork remains, including the original mantels.”