fixer upper

Under $100K Sunday – Circa 1896 Fixer Upper Maine Mansion Under $100K

 

The Fuller family is begging beyond the grave for their fixer upper mansion on Elm Street to be saved. The land which would become Elm Street was purchased in 1799 by Dr. John Warren and was later settled by William Moor in 1802. In the 1840s, James Fuller, Jr. and Sarah Ann Underwood purchased a large tract of land on Elm Street, on which many family members built their own houses. Our featured house was built by Henry Clay Fuller in 1896 and was known as the Fuller Mansion.

 

 

 

 

Shortly after the greenhouse was built, Henry Clay Fuller passed away from tuberculosis at the age of 43. The greenhouse operation continued until 1916 when it closed and was removed from the site.

Henry’s wife Mary continued to live in the mansion with her youngest son until 1930 when she became ill.

 

 

After she passed away in 1933,  her son James Fuller and his wife Bertha inherited the mansion. James died in 1947, but Bertha remained in the home giving piano lessons until she had a bad fall. It was then that ownership was passed to her son who lived in Philadelphia. He then sold it out of the family to new owners who turned it into a boarding house for the mentally challenged. At some point is was painted pink and became known as the Pink House. The Fuller family had owned the home for 66 years.

 

 

*

 

 

*

4 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.