In The Water in Norfolk, Virginia $4,950
c.1974 Live Aboard Boat For Sale ~Lindsey 40 Diesel Trawler Project Large Aft Cabin Model Under $5K
1974 Lindsey 40 diesel trawler, aft cabin, single Perkins 6-354 diesel engine, very roomy interior that would make a great live aboard or cruiser. Located in the water in Norfolk Virginia. This boat will need work before you move her.
- She was used as a live aboard for many years and will need the engine gone over and the steering looked at- she was taken out briefly this summer but the engine needs fuel, and the steering needs fluid/air pressure due to not currently turning the rudder. It is hydraulic, probably Hynautics brand. Air pressure on the fluid reservoir is low, @ 9 psi.
- Expect to change out all fuel filters, and bleed the fuel system BEFORE starting the engine. Tank may need cleaning too. We have a small aluminum tank you are welcome to if you want to use that temporarily.
- Interior is pretty rough, she was lived on for several years. All the basics are there, minus one aft cabin cushion.
- Bottom has lots of growth, we can refer a diver to clean it off.
- Engine turns over and did run very briefly for me, it exhibits all the characteristics of a fuel starved diesel, you will likely just need to prime/bleed the injection system and it will run fine. Expect to change oil and fuel filters as part of standard deferred maintenance. These motors are known for reliability and longevity.
- There are some soft spots on the bridge deck, it feels pretty solid and is very walkable.
- Areas around perimeter of main cabin floor have some moisture damage, and would benefit from a couple layers of fiberglass around the lower corner of where the cabin meets the deck. This was (appears to be)a caulk joint at construction that has leaked.
- Interior woodwork needs cosmetic work and varnish-its mostly ok but there are some rough spots. Also on the gelcoat surfaces there is a lot of writing on the cabin sides-so paint or you might get lucky with some acetone cleaning or 2000 grit sandpaper.
- Lots of cosmetics need attention. Wall around forward head is missing, a new one needs to be installed.
- Very efficient six cylinder diesel, should use small amount of fuel per hour.
- Lots of room around the engine for easy access and extra storage.
- The two cabins are very roomy, the forward v berth cabin has its own head and there is a built in shower in the aft owners cabin, which is plenty big for all the extras you would want to bring cruising.
- All windows in the main salon are under cover of the bridge deck, so on a rainy day they can stay open, but also this keeps leaks down as well.
- While the boat will need work, she is essentially a blank slate for anyone with moderate to good carpentry skills to set up as they desire. Having done just that with my own sailboat, I can attest to the fact that it is nice to have things exactly how you want them based on what you’re desired use for the boat is!
- Onan Generator, condition unknown.
MORE REALTOR COMMENTS